Friday 26 September 2014

Colditz -Day of the Escape.

Today I arrived in Colditz. I was able to tour the castle with the extremely knowledgeable Steffi Schubert who has personally met many of the prisoners and guards from Oflag IV C. It put my challenge in perspective reaching Switzerland in peace time compared with running the gauntlet of Nazi Germany. 
I Teamed up with Airey Neave in the Castle. 


I was able to give Steffi the copies of the Aussie Jack Millet made " jelly" maps I got from the Australian War Memorial. 

Tonight I will "escape" and walk about 10km before finding my first Sleeping spot.

Conditions in the rooms are better now than they were 70 years ago. 
 This is solitary confinement. 


So my adventure begins after much planning and so long thinking about it. I shall have a big beir and schnitzel tonight to set me up for the days ahead. 

Please support  at http://www.everydayhero.com.au/Colditzwalk

No comments:

Post a Comment