Tuesday 14 October 2014

Across to Switzerland

I wanted to recreate as close as I could the route that Airey Neave and Pat Reid the original Colditz escapers would have used during their escapes. So I walked to Singen station where they would have arrived on the train ( they were smarter so didn't walk from Colditz.)



I walked out of Singen towards Ramsen which was the famous crossing point. It was a beauiful sunny day and would have been far removed from the desperate winter night time dash across the border that they would have experienced. 

My admiration for all thoes involved in POW escapes has only increased with my experience. I marvel at the ingenuity, the bravery, the persistence and optimism they displayed. 

I was happy and proud to have completed my challenge but sad that my simple life in the forest " on the run" was over. Honestly I don't think my feet would have made it much further without a significant break. 



The support in terms of donations and messages online has been truly fantastic and kept me moving when I was struggling. So a big thanks to everyone for that. 

I have offline donations to add and the donation page will stay open untill the end of November so please keep supporting Fred Hollows. Share my story and encourage your friends to contribute to an amazing cause. 

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/Colditzwalk
http://colditzwalk.blogspot.de

No comments:

Post a Comment